How can we improve FriendCaster...

C2DM push notification.

If the friendcaster could not use gmail notification, how about C2DM push?

Google provide C2DM push notification, like Apple's APNS.

Is it impossible to apply C2DM to Friendcaster?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Emiliano HeynsEmiliano Heyns commented  · 

If this is true then how does gmail do notifications? It doesn't seem to mind me changing IP address.

• Elatia GrimshawElatia Grimshaw commented  · 

So it comes down to a problem with Android itself. Is there any way to manually update the C2DM when my IP changes?

• pcunitepcunite commented  · 

C2DM works on the idea of "last IP address we saw", so if your IP address changes the you won't get the latest notification. I think that Apple's iMessage (being a system app) gets around this by actually notifying their servers what you new IP address if it sees a change. Obviously if the user shuts down your app you won't be able to do this. This is why a real background system service area on phones is needed.

• ElatiaElatia commented  · 

Again, last night I received a few C2DM notifications. But this morning, I opened FriendCaster and found two notifications that didn't pop up last night. C2DM seems to be no more reliable than the email options and periodic polling.

• ElatiaElatia commented  · 

I'm beta testing C2DM. It worked at first. But this morning, I started FriendCaster and had two notifications that didn't get pushed until the app started.

Feedback and Knowledge Base